Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Uploading photos


My phone has a great 8 megapixel camera. This morning I took a photo of the dawn sky, and of course I wanted to upload it to my blog.

My HTC Evo phone has a "Gallery" app for viewing photos, but I suspect it's part of the Sprint or HTC factory load. Whatever way you view photos, you should have a "share" button to upload.

Uploading to Flickr.com was a snap. The first time I needed to login to my Flickr account. You can add a description or upload multiple photos, and then the photo uploads in the background.

I was surprised the upload took 2 minutes 15 seconds, using Wi-Fi. I tried 3G and the upload only took 1 minute 25 seconds! I don't know if that was network speed, or possibly load on Flickr.com. (I don't have 4G at my present location.)

I wanted to try Google's Picasa to compare speeds, but I hit a roadblock http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=349bad9bde5c6278&hl=en. Apparently there is a bug if you do not have Picasa setup when your phone is initially setup. When I try to upload to Picasa, it wants me to login or create a Google account, I login, but then I'm just stuck in an account screen. In a forum there was a recommendation that you had to do a Factory Reset, something I don't want to attempt now. I don't know what data I would lose . . .

Here's another blogger's comments on uploading pictures:
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-101-social-networking-pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment